Is drinking cold water bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is drinking cold water bad?

My mom was complaining about how I'm drinking cold water with ice in it, and she said it will make you fat. I am not sure of this but is that really true?
    I tried search for answers in the net and do some agree it does and some don't, and it says it is just an urban legend.
    If there is any other information, I can get it would gladly help.
    I have been cautious in my health lately, and it is the first time that concerns me about cold-water thanks to my mom.

It is an urban legend. Most experts now think that drinking cold water actually makes you lose weight, because the body uses calories to heat the water back up to your body's normal temperature. I'm not sure if this is true, but it definitely won't make you fat. That really makes no logical sense.

Comment

Cold water is not bad but it does require your body to work more to actually use it because as rett said your body has to heat it back up. I myself love a cold glass of water and I think that we do not get enough water as it is so if you like your water cold then drink it cold. At least you are drinking water and not soda (pop) like the majority of the United States.

Comment

I don't think drinking cold water is bad for people in general. I can't drink cold water. It will give me a headache that will last for hours. No thanks.

A great article on the LiveStrong website about drinking cold water: Is Ice Water Good For Metabolism? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Comment

I can't imagine how drinking cold water could make anybody fat, it just isn't logical to me. I think that you don't have to worry about it. But I know that drinking it is not good for me. When I drink cold water after dinner or right after any hot meal, I have symptoms of a food poisoning
          "I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles. ― Audrey Hepburn

Comment

drinking water will never be bad

Drinking water will never be bad for you. Doesn't matter if the watter is cold, warm, or room temp. It will not make you fat. Fat is the storage of excess energy. Energy is calories. Water has no calories at all, so you will never get fat from drinking water. rest assured. Also cold water does seem to boots your metabolism as other said above me. So drinking cold water would actually help you burn fat.

Comment

I have found over the years that cool water satisfies my thirst better than cold water. But, I do love very cold milk. I do not know exactly why, but cold milk quenches my thirst better than anything. I suspect it has something to do with the fat content but I'm not 100% sure how that would work.

Comment

and lessatle

Originally posted by rett11 View Post
                It is an urban legend. Most experts now think that drinking cold water actually makes you lose weight, because the body uses calories to heat the water back up to your body's normal temperature. I'm not sure if this is true, but it definitely won't make you fat. That really makes no logical sense.
                ^This is absolutely true.

However, I don't think the energy needed to actually heat the water back up would even be noticeable. It's not like you can skip the gym or anything just because you're drinking old water.

Water is water and you should be drinking it no matter what. Colder is more refreshing, so go ahead and drink that.

Comment

Cold water

Drink hot and cold water, both great for you. I have heard about drinking cold water is good as it makes your body work harder to warm itself up, thus using energy, thus burning calories, but I don't think that has been proven. But nothing has been proven to say you should not drink cold water either.

Comment

I think it is fine to drink, so long as you are getting in your fluids. People already slack on the water. I wouldn't want people to avoid drinking water because they are afraid of ill effects from drinking it cold.

Comment

Drinking cold water can dilute the dieting enzymes and is responsible for acidity and sore throat. The drinking cold water can also cause headache and eye pains. The drinking water is necessary but drinking cold water is harmful. .

Comment

My Irish step father drank almost everything at room temp except for a cocktail, and he used minimal ice or requested minimal ice.
                        Beer and water always room temp. He would drink juice at breakfast and iced tea with dinner at the end so by the time he was done his meal it was room temp. He even heated his milk a bit so it was never cold. He drank mostly room temp beer.
                        It's not bad for you, some people just have a preference.

Comment

My mum too used to tell me off for drinking cold water from the fridge when I was a kid, I believed her for years until a girlfriend clued me up and told me it was a rubbish old wife's tale.
                          Dean Saliba
                          How To Make Money Online ~ Freelance Writer

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's just a myth. And even if it does make a difference, I doubt it would be any significant difference as it is just water. The previous generations seem to have a lot of misconceptions that they are so ready to pass down even without evidence, and even if you tell them they're wrong they will just argue with you until you are tired.

Comment

Drinking ice cold water is the only way to get me to drink water. I usually don't care for the taste at all, and more junky drinks tend to be tempting in its place. But when it's ice cold...nothing can replace it for me. So thank goodness this is not true.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                              Working...
                              X