Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever ditched jury duty? What happened?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by derek View Post
    How do jurors get treated like potential criminals? There is a strict code of conduct and confidentiality applied to jury members because of the responsibility carried in interpreting the law which will ultimately determine the outcome of the alleged criminal...that is a serious responsibility.
    I can only talk of my personal experiences in Los Angeles. It is has been a long time (early 90's) so perhaps it has changed. When I entered the building I was instructed to sit down on one of the uncomfortable chairs. After about ten or so minutes or so, I stood up to stretch and immediately one of the "guards" shouted at me "I told you to SIT DOWN". After about an hour we were all ushered into a larger room, and the "guard" started to read a long list of "do's and dont's". After she was finished she asked if anybody had any questions. An older lady raised her hand and when she was finished with her question, the "guard" just snarled at her, "If you would have paid attention to me, you would not have had to ask that question!" And it went on and on. derek, I am not lying or exaggerating. It was a terrible experience and happened every time I was called. Fortunately only about three times.
    Last edited by R. Paradon; 11-09-2012, 10:51 PM. Reason: typo
    IF I MAKE ONE PERSON SMILE OR FEEL HAPPY TODAY THEN I HAVE DONE MY JOB AS A HUMAN!

Comment

Re: Have you ever ditched jury duty? What happened?

Originally posted by R. Paradon View Post
      I can only talk of my personal experiences in Los Angeles. It is has been a long time (early 90's) so perhaps it has changed. When I entered the building I was instructed to sit down on one of the uncomfortable chairs. After about ten or so minutes or so, I stood up to stretch and immediately one of the "guards" shouted at me "I told you to SIT DOWN". After about an hour we were all ushered into a larger room, and the "guard" started to read a long list of "do's and dont's". After she was finished she asked if anybody had any questions. An older lady raised her hand and when she was finished with her question, the "guard" just snarled at her, "If you would have paid attention to me, you would not have had to ask that question!" And it went on and on. derek, I am not lying or exaggerating. It was a terrible experience and happened every time I was called. Fortunately only about three times.
      My experiences were fine thus far...LA is rough man...times is hard, man! Lol. Different cities, different circumstances, different times, different experiences I suppose...
      Smart Health Shop
      SHS Facebook
      Powder City bulk supplements discount!

NPC Physique and SmartHealthShop.com Athlete
      Supplementing Your Health Starts Here

Comment

My experiences were fine thus far...LA is rough man...times is hard, man! Lol. Different cities, different circumstances, different times, different experiences I suppose...
        While I realize that there are some hard nose people (potential jurors) I was not one of them. But it is a thing of the past and hopefully she has retired or been fired by now. Tact should be part of the requirement of the job!
        IF I MAKE ONE PERSON SMILE OR FEEL HAPPY TODAY THEN I HAVE DONE MY JOB AS A HUMAN!

Comment

It's just the right in serving your country. You can either do it or not. I don't think there are any problems with not going but in my country, they call and mail you. If you don't go, you have to pay, get a warning or state your reasons for not going. You don't get paid though so I don't see a point. It's just to serve your country.
          Kraiten - Doing the Impossible

Comment

Originally posted by kraiten View Post
            It's just the right in serving your country. You can either do it or not. I don't think there are any problems with not going but in my country, they call and mail you. If you don't go, you have to pay, get a warning or state your reasons for not going. You don't get paid though so I don't see a point. It's just to serve your country.
            Are you in America? Did you not go and were you forced to pay?

Comment

Originally posted by DanicaPerry View Post
              Are you in America? Did you not go and were you forced to pay?
              No. You get compensation (not much, but some) in America for jury duty.
              Smart Health Shop
              SHS Facebook

Comment

I've heard that you have to pay a fine here in America. I don't know but if you are called it's best to go even if they dismiss you. So I know they pay you for your time but it's not enough to say miss work for. So if you make more than a few bucks a day and your boss will write you off so you don't have to go, well that's the best thing to do for your jury duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Lena51 View Post
                  I've heard that you have to pay a fine here in America. I don't know but if you are called it's best to go even if they dismiss you. So I know they pay you for your time but it's not enough to say miss work for. So if you make more than a few bucks a day and your boss will write you off so you don't have to go, well that's the best thing to do for your jury duty.
                  I believe your workplace is required to pay the difference between your salary for time missed and the compensation that government jury responsibilities pays you. When I was on jury duty last, I was paid my jury stub and was paid the difference between that and my weekly check from my place of employment.
                  Smart Health Shop
                  SHS Facebook

Comment

I think that they should pick out people for jury duty who actually want to do jury duty. I have went to jury duty a couple years ago. They didn't pick me to be on the jury, thankfully. I couldn't think I could go back and forth each morning to the courthouse. Now I just got another lovely notice for jury duty for the end of this month, ugh. I will attend. It does say that you can skip it, but you can only skip one. So I may save up that get out of jury duty free card for later.

Comment

I believe your workplace is required to pay the difference between your salary for time missed and the compensation that government jury responsibilities pays you. When I was on jury duty last, I was paid my jury stub and was paid the difference between that and my weekly check from my place of employment.
                      That hasn't been true for anywhere I've ever heard of, unless it's a new law.

Originally posted by Krissytin View Post
                      I think that they should pick out people for jury duty who actually want to do jury duty. I have went to jury duty a couple years ago. They didn't pick me to be on the jury, thankfully. I couldn't think I could go back and forth each morning to the courthouse. Now I just got another lovely notice for jury duty for the end of this month, ugh. I will attend. It does say that you can skip it, but you can only skip one. So I may save up that get out of jury duty free card for later.
                      I think that every year they should send out a simple card to every adult in the country. It should have an area to be filled out and sent back, stating if you're willing to serve on a jury if needed. Then they should call the juries from the people who've sent the cards in. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who would send them in. Some people are really into serving the country and being into the legal system and all that. And many of those people are the ones who never get called. I've actually heard people say that they are sad they've never been called because they would like to do it. It just doesn't make sense to have a system that forces those who don't want to, and doesn't take advantage of those who would be excited at the opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by DanicaPerry View Post
                        That hasn't been true for anywhere I've ever heard of, unless it's a new law.

I think that every year they should send out a simple card to every adult in the country. It should have an area to be filled out and sent back, stating if you're willing to serve on a jury if needed. Then they should call the juries from the people who've sent the cards in. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who would send them in. Some people are really into serving the country and being into the legal system and all that. And many of those people are the ones who never get called. I've actually heard people say that they are sad they've never been called because they would like to do it. It just doesn't make sense to have a system that forces those who don't want to, and doesn't take advantage of those who would be excited at the opportunity.
                        You are correct, it is not required:

Michigan Wage and Hour Laws - EmploymentLawHandbook.com

My workplace compensates for loss accrued due to jury duty...if a workplace does not, it says quite a bit negative of their treatment of employees...in my opinion...employees should definitely be compensated the difference between their federal / state jury duty pay and their typical week's salary. Hogwash if they are not, and smaller disdain to the employee for skipping if the workplace shows no interest in compensating the difference.
                        Smart Health Shop
                        SHS Facebook

Comment

Here is another resource in regards to Jury Duty and government compensation in relation to employer compensation:

Jury Duty/ Court Appearance laws, regulations, analysis, news, and tools
                          Smart Health Shop
                          SHS Facebook

Comment

Great information for new guy like me. This shows not only particular heck but also give idea about. Thanks for sharing this information. <a href="https://instagram-video-download-online.blogspot.com/2019/08/instagram-video-downloader-online.html"> How to download instagram videos free </a>

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                            Working...
                            X