By Lynh Bui, Donna St. George and Justin Jouvenal,

Officers are looking for a male suspect who shot and killed one woman and injured a man in a domestic-related shooting in a parking lot at High Point High School in Beltsville on Thursday afternoon, Prince George’s County police said.

Prince George’s County Police Chief Henry P. Stawinski III said at an evening news conference that the incident began around 4:40 p.m. while a woman was in the process of picking up her child from the school. The woman was confronted by a man and an altercation ensued, the chief said. The exact relationship between the man believed to the shooter and the woman still is being determined, the chief said, but they were known to each from some type of prior relationship, he said.

Stawinski said a male bystander tried to intervene in the dispute, but as the bystander approached, the male began firing several times at the bystander. The bystander suffered a gunshot wound to the shoulder with an injury that appeared not to be life threatening, the chief said.

Stawinski said the male shooter then turned the weapon on the woman and fired an unknown number of shots, killing her. The shooter then the fled the scene in the car.

Stawinski said police believe they have identified the shooter, but are working to confirm the information and put out a description of him and his vehicle.

“At no point was this an active shooter inside the school,” Stawinski said.

Stawinski said police had not recovered a weapon and the suspect could still be armed. Police did not immediately release information about what prompted the shooting.

The incident was captured on school video and was witnessed by adults and possibly students at the school, Stawinski said.

Kevin Maxwell, chief executive officer of the Prince George’s County school system, said at the news conference that school had been out for two hours when the shooting occurred, but some students and teachers remained inside as a precaution and were later permitted to exit.

Mark Brady, the Prince George’s County Fire Department spokesman, said in a voicemail message that the fatally wounded woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

Sherrie Johnson, Prince George’s County schools spokeswoman, said High Point’s dismissal was at 2:25 p.m. but some students stayed later for after-school programs. Johnson said the students were “safe but they are being questioned by police as potential witnesses,” she said.

A crowd began to gather across the street from the high school to watch the scene unfold. Some bystanders were those worried about friends and family who were initially still inside the school.

Chris Barber, a 2007 graduate of High Point, lives in the area and rushed over when he heard news of the shooting.

“I came to check on my friend’s little brother,” Barber said. “I wanted to make sure he was safe.”

Word that the victims were adults and not students, was not a relief. “Regardless of who it is someone was shot and killed,” Barber said.

Hamil R. Harris contributed to this report.