Relay for Life in Battle Creek at the Lakeview High School.

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Fighting cancer with 14 hours of walking in Battle Creek for the Relay for Life.

More than 150 people are taking part in Relay for Life at Lakeview High School, some are walking for loved ones they've lost, others are celebrating a second chance at life.

They come from all walks of life, but here they are walking toward one common goal and gighting for one thing: a world without cancer.

Jessica Metheny, a cancer survivor, said, "I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma when I was 6 and a half months pregnant."

Don Kinsley, a cancer survivor, said, "In 2009 I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's Mantle-cell Lymphoma and 4th stage. Time stood still when those words fell out of my doctor's mouth."

Kinsley and Metheny are both cancer survivors that are taking part in the annual Relay for Life in Battle Creek.

The event, which raises money for the American Cancer Society, started in 1985 and now walks take place around the globe.

Metheny said for years, she'd fought to raise awareness for cancer after losing her grandmother to breast cancer.

Metheny said, "But never did I think I'd hear those words for me, especially not at 27. I was so young."

She said she was able to carry her son to full term and then start chemotherapy after he was born.

She said, "I was one of the lucky ones, they had a cure for mine, but not everybody is lucky like I am. So I have to come out and I have to do something so everybody can hear those words that it is curable."

Kinsley is also in remission. He says it hasn't been an easy battle, but it's important to never give up.

He said, "It's okay to be afraid, but don't be afraid to fight."

Walkers have raised more than $22,000 of their $64,000 goal.

The Relay for Life continues until midnight.

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t...ew-high-school