Malala’s struggle is call for girls’ education: Michelle Obama
Sunday, May 11, 2014
From Print Edition

WASHINGTON: US First Lady Michelle Obama on Saturday said Pakistani Malala Yousafzai’s courageous struggle for education should serve as a call to action for access to education for 65 million girls, who are still out of school worldwide.

“The courage and hope embodied by Malala and girls like her around the world should serve as a call to action,” Michelle said “Because right now, more than 65 million girls worldwide are not in school,” the first lady added, delivering the weekly radio address on behalf of her husband, President Barack Obama. Michelle’s address came on the Mother’s Day weekend during which she wished all the mothers a Happy Mother’s Day.

Michelle said Malala spoke out for girls’ education in her community, and as a result, she was shot in the head by a Taliban gunman while on a school bus with her classmates. But fortunately Malala survived, and when I met her last year, I could feel her passion and determination as she told me that girls’ education is still her life’s mission.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments.