Pool/Getty Images The casket of Michael Brown sits inside Friendly Temple Missionary Baptist Church awaiting the start of his funeral on Monday. Pool/Getty Images Brown, 18, was shot and killed by Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson on Aug. 9. Joe Marino/New York Daily News The body of slain Missouri teen Michael Brown is laid to rest at St Peter's Cemetery in St. Louis on Monday. Joe Marino/New York Daily News Brown's father, Michael Brown Sr. (center) and his girlfriend (center right) arrive at Friendly Temple Missionary Baptist Church in St. Louis.
Previous Next

Enlarge
Two weeks after Michael Brown was gunned down by a police officer, the anger continued to smolder Monday as thousands bid the black teenager farewell at a St. Louis church.

In a rousing speech, the Rev. Al Sharpton reminded mourners that 18-year-old Brown “should be in his second week of college.”

He described how Brown’s body was left on the street for hours after he was killed “like nobody cared about him, like he didn't have any loved ones, like his life value didn't matter.”

“We’re required in his name to change this country,” Sharpton said to cheers. “Justice is going to come! Justice is going to come! Justice is going to come!”

Brown’s uncle, Pastor Charles Ewing, said the Ferguson, Mo., officer who killed his nephew on Aug. 9 has “yet to suffer the consequences.”

“Michael Brown’s blood is crying from the ground, crying for vengeance, crying for justice,” he said.

Brown’s parents, Lesley McSpadden and Michael Brown Sr., looked stricken and did not speak at the funeral.

“I couldn’t protect you but we love you,” the grieving dad wrote on a funeral card. “I will never let you die in my heart.”

“You were the purpose of my life,” Brown’s mom wrote on hers.

Richard Perry/AP Lesley McSpadden, the mother Michael Brown, cries during her son's funeral on Monday. Edgar Sandoval Michael Brown is remembered in this family photo during Monday's funeral.

Previous Next
Enlarge
In the obituary the family handed out, there was no mention of their son’s killer, Officer Darren Wilson.

“I still have anger in my heart,” Brown’s cousin, Bernard Ewing, told the mourners. “I still have revenge on my heart.”

Brown “was a big guy, but a kind, gentle soul,” he said. “One day he told his family the world would know his name. He did not know he was offering up a divine prophecy.”

“We will chant Mike's name and it's gonna shake the heavens,” chimed in cousin Eric Davis. “But not today. Today is for peace, peace and quiet.”

Robert Cohen/AP Attendees seen during the funeral service for Michael Brown Jr. on Monday. ROBERT COHEN/POOL/EPA Lesley McSpadden wipes away tears during the funeral service for her son, Michael Brown Jr. Joe Marino/New York Daily News Michael Brown Sr. (c.), the father of slain Missouri teen Michael Brown Jr., arrives at Friendly Temple Missionary Baptist Church on Monday. Robert Cohen/Pool/Getty Images Lesley McSpadden (second from r.) is comforted during the funeral services for her son Michael Brown inside Friendly Temple Missionary Baptist Church in St. Louis on Monday.
Previous Next

Enlarge
The gleaming brown-and-gold coffin bearing Brown’s body was adorned with his black-and-red St. Louis Cardinals baseball cap and matching red roses.

It was flanked by framed photos of Brown wearing his favorite headphones and as a child in happier times.

The vast majority of mourners at the Friendly Temple Missionary Baptist Church were African-American and many said they were deeply moved by the funeral.

“It was emotional,” said Paula Queen, 44, of St Louis. "I have two teenage sons who are afraid to even walk down the streets.”

Robert Cohen/Pool/Getty Images Director Spike Lee takes a picture of a black-and-red St. Louis Cardinals cap that belonged to Michael Brown Jr. during the teen's funeral service on Monday. ROBERT COHEN / POOL/EPA The Rev. Al Sharpton speaks during the funeral service for Michael Brown Jr. Robert Cohen/AP Rev. Al Sharpton (l.) attends the funeral services for Michael Brown on Monday.

Previous Next

Enlarge
Queen said she feels especially sad for Brown’s mother.

“I can understand a little bit what she's going through,” she said.

Willie Chambers Jr., 69, came all the way from Georgia for the funeral.

“Michael Brown is going to heaven the second they bury his body," Chambers said. “What happened to him shows the world how we have been mistreated for years. The bad cops hide behind the good ones.”

James Keivom/New York Daily News Funeral attendees hold their hands up while chanting 'Hands up, don't shoot' as they wait in line for Michael Brown's funeral service. JOSHUA LOTT/REUTERS People are silhouetted against the sun as they wait in line to attend Michael Brown’s funeral. Lines began forming three hours before the scheduled start of the service. JOSHUA LOTT/Reuters Thousands line up Monday morning at Friendly Temple Missionary Baptist Church in St. Louis. JOSHUA LOTT/REUTERS Protesters were asked to give the family a 'day of silence' so the Brown family can grieve.
Previous Next

Enlarge
Organizers chose the church because it seats 2,500. But all those seats were filled by the time the service started and the overflow rooms, which had room for another 2,000 mourners, were also packed.

So hundreds were stuck outside and forced to listen over loudspeakers in searing summer heat that hovered near 100 degrees.

Director Spike Lee attended the service. So did Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill, a smattering of other Democratic lawmakers, and three White House representatives, including Broderick Johnson.

Johnson heads the President’s My Brother’s Keeper Task Force, an initiative Obama created this year to support young minority males.

Richard Perry/AP Michael Brown Sr. yells out as the casket is lowered during the funeral service for his son Michael Brown on Monday. Robert Cohen/AP A casket containing the body of Michael Brown is wheeled out Monday at Friendly Temple Missionary Baptist Church in St. Louis.  ADREES LATIF/REUTERS Men prepare to unload the casket containing the body of Michael Brown after it was transported by horse carriage to its final resting place in St. Peter's Cemetery located in St. Louis on Monday. Robert Cohen/AP Rev. Al Sharpton and Rev. Jesse Jackson (r.) touch the vault containing Michael Brown's casket during Brown's funeral on Monday. JOSHUA LOTT/REUTERS People wearing T-shirts with pictures of Michael Brown wait in line to attend his funeral at Friendly Temple Missionary Baptist Church in St. Louis.

Previous Next

Enlarge
Capt. Ron Johnson of the Missouri Highway Patrol — the man appointed by Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon to restore peace in Ferguson, Mo. — kept watch over the growing crowd.

Before the gathering, Brown’s dad asked protesters who have been gathering nightly in Ferguson to take a break Monday for a “day of silence” so his family can grieve.

“Tomorrow all I want is peace,” he told supporters. “That’s all I ask.”

They got the message. The protesters who had been outside the Ferguson Police Department every day since the shooting were gone and in their place was a sign that read “Break for funeral.”

James Keivom/New York Daily News Lesley McSpadden (second from r.), the mother of Michael Brown, hugs Rev. Jesse Jackson (second from l.) as Rev. Al Sharpton (l.) looks on. James Keivom/New York Daily News Michael Brown's casket is lifted into a hearse shortly after the funeral.
Previous Next
Enlarge
Brown was unarmed when he was killed by Wilson. Right now, a St. Louis County grand jury is considering whether to charge the white officer with a crime.

The FBI and the Department of Justice have launched civil rights investigations into the deadly shooting, which sparked several days of sometimes violent protests and sporadic looting in the St. Louis suburb.

Wilson, 28, has not been seen since the killing and has made no statements. But supporters contend he fired on Brown after the hulking teenager slugged him in the face during a struggle for the officer’s gun.

Witnesses say Brown had his hands up in a sign of surrender when Wilson fired the fatal shots. They said police added insult to injuring by leaving the teenager’s body bleeding in the street for hours after the shooting.

An autopsy later found that Brown had been shot six times.

Prior to his encounter with Brown, Wilson was a well-regarded cop who got a commendation for arresting a suspected drug dealer. But he also was once part of an all-white police force in a neighboring suburb of Jennings that was disbanded over racial tensions in that town.

Ferguson’s police force is also almost entirely white, and the simmering tensions between the department and the mostly black residents of the town exploded after Brown was killed.

Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson fanned the anger further by refusing to release Wilson’s name for days and then releasing footage of Brown allegedly stealing cigars from a convenience store shortly before he was killed.

Jackson later admitted that Wilson had no idea that Brown was a “strong-arm” robbery suspect when the officer stopped him and a pal for walking in the street.

Edgar Sandoval reported from St. Louis.

[email protected]