Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No To Sleeping Pills

In 2008, Americans filled more than 56 million prescriptions for sleeping pills and spent more than $600 million on over-the-counter sleep aids. However, according to a 2007 analysis of sleeping pill studies financed by the National Institutes of Health, sleeping pills like Ambien, Lunesta, and Sonata reduced the average time to go to sleep by less than 13 minutes compared to a placebo, which can hardly be considered a worthwhile improvement.

Aside from being pathetically ineffective, sleeping pills also come with a slew of detrimental and potentially dangerous side effects.

For starters, they're notorious for being addictive, which means that once you want to stop taking them, you'll likely suffer withdrawal symptoms that could be worse than your initial insomnia. Some sleeping pills may also become less effective when taken for longer than two weeks, which means you may find yourself needing ever higher dosages.

Other common side effects include weight gain, sleep walking, and eating in your sleep. You're also more apt to get into a traffic accident when using sleeping pills. (Ambien ranks among the top 10 drugs found in the bloodstreams of impaired drivers, according to some state toxicology labs.)

Most people do not realize that certain sleeping pills -- those containing Benadryl -- can have a half life of about 18 hours. So, if you take them every night, you're basically sedated for a large portion of the day as well! Not surprisingly, they're associated with cognitive deficits in the morning.

Many sleeping pills are also a potent anti-cholinergics, which suppress REM sleep and dreaming. These drugs are also known to increase dementia risk in seniors. All in all, there are far better, safer and more effective ways to get a good night's sleep than resorting to potentially dangerous drugs.

Source: Here!

Tonight, millions of people are popping up pills which aim to help them get into sleep. And just like any other artificial chemicals, unnecessary side-effects will also accompany these sleeping pills. Maybe it is time for natural but effective alternatives. We could not go on depending on man-made chemicals to help us with our concerns and then expecting that everything will be fine in the future.
    I Just Love SmartHealthShop!

I was given a "tranquilizer" due to my anxiety issues. I don't recall the name, but it was very mild and I gave it a try. I tried it for 3 nights and that was more than enough for me. I woke the next morning very groggy and felt like I had not slept one bit. The whole day was horrible during the time I took these. I felt disassociated and out of touch with reality. I am going to say no if he ever offers me another sleeping pill. I am scared to take any type of pill. My mother takes the sleeping pill Ambien (hope it's ok to post the name) and I wish she wouldn't because I don't know how it affects her. Insomnia is bad, but surely there are natural ways to help a person sleep. Stress is a common cause of insomnia I'm sure..but I'm also sure there are ways to naturally control stress.

Comment

Yeah. really no to sleeping pills. Maybe occasionally will do. But definitely no. I think this was the case of the late Michael Jackson too. He was bothered by his sleeping disorder for a decade I guess. He relied on different tools to help him out and one is sleeping pills.

Comment

I have never taken sleeping pills... Fortunately, I've never needed them. I think that in order to have a good sleep, you need to really get tired. This can be achieved by doing physical exercises or increasing your overall daily activity.. Make yourself crave for a soft pillow..
        Best regards!
        If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes!
        If you want to know how to make money online see THIS!

Comment

I got strong sleeping pills from the doctor about a year ago. I wasn't sleeping at all and I felt like I was about to lose my mind from lack of sleep. The pills knocked me out and it was almost impossible to motivate myself the following day. Never again! I usually have a hot bath before bed now, which helps me relax. I still don't sleep much, but I'd rather cope on 3 hours sleep a night than take those darn pills again!

Comment

Originally posted by mholic View Post
            Yeah. really no to sleeping pills. Maybe occasionally will do. But definitely no. I think this was the case of the late Michael Jackson too. He was bothered by his sleeping disorder for a decade I guess. He relied on different tools to help him out and one is sleeping pills.
            One of the most popular side-effects of overdoing with sleeping pills is that it can make you indeed sleep forever with no more hassle of waking up ever -- except for the resurrection if you believe on that. Joke it might be but this is true. In fact, how many past and current celebrities who became victims of sleeping pills? Michael Jackson is a recent example of becoming a recipient of sleeping pills' great side-effect.
            I Just Love SmartHealthShop!

Comment

I suffer from bouts of insomnia, so, yes, I have taken sleeping pills and will continue to do so whenever I have an episode. When I take my sleeping pill, I take it really early (around 7). By doing this, I have been able to keep from feeling drugged the next day. It is a little harder for me to get my butt out of the bed, but after a cup of coffee, I'm usually good to go. Getting sleep, by pill knock-out or not, is better than staring at my computer deliriously tired because your body refuses to shut down.

Comment

My roomie just got on some because he couldnt sleep for like 2 weeks... he tried everything else.
                Come Show Off Your Pets! - The Pet Board

Comment

As I said to my earlier reply..my mother takes Ambien, a low dose. Well, for the past 2 nights she has taken them and she still can not sleep, so I believe her body has built up a tolerance to them. Does anyone know if this can happen? I assume it can but am not sure.

Comment

I used to take sleeping pills or I would stay up all day, until I laid down to rest, and even then I was still doing something until I passed out. I stopped simply because I ran out and do not feel like getting a refill. Instead, I just work online whenever I am awake now. It gives me something to do and I make money from it, a win win situation. I never had any bad side effects from them that I can tell of though.

Comment

Originally posted by apickett80 View Post
                      As I said to my earlier reply..my mother takes Ambien, a low dose. Well, for the past 2 nights she has taken them and she still can not sleep, so I believe her body has built up a tolerance to them. Does anyone know if this can happen? I assume it can but am not sure.
                      Yes. I took Ambien for awhile. I would sleep for a few nights then it stopped working. I would have to not take it for a couple of days and it would start working again. I've found I would build a tolerance to all prescription sleeping pills. The one that worked the best for me? Tylenol PM.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                      Working...
                      X