Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men's Health Concerns

Low testosterone, also known as ďmanopause,Ē affects many men as they enter the latter half of their lives. Some men get this condition for no apparent reason, but most men suffer from low testosterone due to unhealthy lifestyle. Symptoms of low testosterone may include fatigue, moodiness, low energy, low sex drive and erectile dysfunction. Treatment can be as simple as improving the diet, eating whole grains and a wider variety of fruits and vegetables, and weight loss, if needed. Administration of male hormones is sometimes required.

Erectile dysfunction (ED) is also a menís health issue and usually begins to afflict men over the age of 40. For the most part, physical causes such as diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension and the medications used for these conditions are the direct causes of ED. Psychological causes tend to afflict younger men more often. ED is a harbinger of more severe cardiovascular conditions, such as coronary artery disease. If you know someone who has ED, encourage a full evaluation by a trusted health care provider.

Prostate disease is increasingly discussed among men and their physicians. The risk of an enlarged prostate, also called benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH, increases about four percent a year after age 55. By age 60, half of men will have BPH. That number jumps to 95 percent by age 85. Symptoms of BPH include decreased urinary flow, hesitancy of urinary stream, inability to fully empty the bladder, increased frequency of urination and night-time awakening to urinate.

These lifestyle factors are associated with a lower risk of BPH: High level of physical activity and no "belly fat", a low-fat diet, five or more servings of vegetables a day and two glasses or less of alcohol a day. Increasing vitamin C from vegetables in the diet also lowers risk for prostate enlargement and symptomatic BPH.

Finally, maintaining health for life is enjoyable if the brain stays healthy, too. Unfortunately, men are at higher risk for strokes and the consequences of poor circulation, including dementia and brain dysfunction. Certain brain diseases, such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinsonís disease, Huntingtonís Chorea, Progressive Supranuclear Palsy and Lou Gehrigís disease, are genetic and are inevitable in some unfortunate few.

Additionally, deficiencies in certain vitamins, such as Vitamin B-12, folic acid, and B-6, may lead to a neurochemical imbalance and less than optimal brain function. But for most men who have some control over their brainís health, these steps can all contribute to alertness and brain function:

Watch your diet, and be sure to get sufficient vitamins and minerals. Mentally challenge yourself daily with crossword puzzles, brain teasers and the like.

This is taken from this: site.
    I Just Love SmartHealthShop!

There's alot of good information there. The best bet is to watch your diet and exercise regularly to hopefully avoid some of these problems.

Comment

I really am getting anxious everytime I read health issues for men as I feel like I am having those kind of illness and deficiency, thank you very much that you open a topic about this one and I find this very informative.

TechnoFuse for latest tech, games and cool gadgets

Comment

Originally posted by dafraz View Post
        There's alot of good information there. The best bet is to watch your diet and exercise regularly to hopefully avoid some of these problems.
        This is the correct attitude towards all of the recent releases on different health concerns. The best defense we can ever have is good and balanced diet coupled with regular exercise. Men in particular should watch they don't have a compromised diet because we are all prone for excessive consumption of red meat and fatty foods. Plus smoking should be taken out of the picture as well as excessive alcohol intake. Our own health in the future will depends so much on our choices and decisions today.
        I Just Love SmartHealthShop!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
        Working...
        X