X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Reasons You Should Lift Weights

12 Reasons You Should Lift Weights | Active.com

Here are some interesting excerpts from the article of 12 Reasons You Should Lift Weights

1. You'll lose 40 percent more fat.

Other research on dieters who don't lift shows that, on average, 75 percent of their weight loss is from fat, while 25 percent is from muscle. Muscle loss may drop your scale weight, but it doesn't improve your reflection in the mirror and it makes you more likely to gain back the flab you lost. However, if you weight train as you diet, you'll protect your hard-earned muscle and burn more fat.

2. Your clothes will fit better.

Research shows that between the ages of 30 and 50, you'll likely lose 10 percent of your body's total muscle. Worse yet, it's likely to be replaced by fat over time, says a study.

3. You'll burn more calories.

Lifting gives you a better burn during exercise too: Doing a circuit of eight moves (which takes about eight minutes) can expend 159 to 231 calories. That's about what you'd burn if you ran at a 10-mile-per-hour pace for the same duration.

4. Your diet will improve.

Exercise helps your brain stick to a diet plan. University of Pittsburgh researchers studied 169 overweight adults and found that those who didn't follow a three-hours-a-week training regimen ate more than their allotted 1,500 calories a day.

5. You'll handle stress better.
    6. You'll be happier.
    7. You'll build stronger bones.
    8. You'll get into shape faster.
    9. Your heart will be healthier.
    10. You'll be way more productive.
    11. You'll live longer.
    12. You'll be even smarter.

I could agree that lifting weights could really give us such results such as all the other exercises we could do in a regular basis.
    Lifting weights could really help a person bulk up or build more muscles. I just lift light weights since I do not wan to build lot of muscles, just like to make my muscles more firm/lean. It was so true that it could make our heart healthier just like some other cardio exercises and will makes our strong/muscles stronger.
    My Site & My Blog Diary

Comment

I agree with your list! You make a lot of great points! I use 2 small 5 lb weights while I walk or run on the treadmill. I find they give me the upper body workout I need, while I am getting my lower body workout. I have a calorie counter on my treadmill and I know by lifting the weights while I walk or run, I am adding to my calories lost. I sweat more while walking or running with the weights, and I feel the burn in my arms more after I am done, which I wouldn't normally feel as much by just running alone. Adding weights to my workout, has really sped up my weight-loss and built some muscle. Now I don't workout without them!
      Last edited by Delle LeClair; 08-29-2011, 03:36 AM. Reason: Editing.

Comment

I am used to brisk walking as my only form of exercise and though I believe that this is giving me health benefits it is also true that it never give me the form that I am dreaming about. So it must be weight lifting that could help me define my body. This must be the reason why a friend of mine insisted that I should be a member of a gym and lift some weights in order to have a better looking abs. Now, I know the importance of lifting weights.
        I Just Love SmartHealthShop!

Comment

I used to work out with weights. 10-15 pounds and sometimes I try to do more but my arms get too tense faster when using heavier weights. But the results of my work out becomes visible at a shorter time because of the hard lumps on the shoulder areas. Now all that is needed to be decided is whether to lift weights for strength, power or simply toning. I prefer strength training because I do like lifting heavy objects even if I'm a girl. It would be then easier to carry a pail of water into the backyard when I take my dogs for a bath.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
          Working...
          X