Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocolate could reduce heart risk by a third

For all of you chocolate lovers out there I have great news! Studies have shown that consuming a higher amount of chocolate can decrease your risk of hear disease! Here is the article for more information:

A medical report suggests that those who consume a higher amount of chocolate could potentially decrease their risk of developing heart disease by one third. A medical report suggests that those who consume a higher amount of chocolate could potentially decrease their risk of developing heart disease by one third. Nikola Solic/Reuters

Eating more chocolate could reduce the risk of developing heart disease by 37 per cent, a report in the British Medical Journal suggests.

Researchers at Cambridge University compiled an analysis after looking into seven studies of about 114,000 people and found that people who consumed the most chocolate had a 37 per cent lower risk of developing heart disease and a 29 per cent lower risk of suffering a stroke than those who consumed less chocolate.

The studies looked at the consumption of dark chocolate as well as milk chocolate, chocolate drinks and other chocolate confectionaries.

"Cocoa products containing flavonol have been known to have an encouraging potential to help prevent cardio-metabolic disorders," the report said.

Oscar Franco, a clinical lecturer in public health, and one of the authors of the report added that it is more than just one element in chocolate that makes it beneficial.

"[There are] antioxidants, flavinoids, it's many things that come together," Franco said. "What we see with elements is they are complex structures that have many factors, many chemicals that come together, interact with each other, so they can produce a beneficial effect."
    Chocolate could reduce heart risk by a third - British Columbia - CBC News

In its natural state, chocolate contains a lot of antioxidants. Flavonol is one of the most known antioxidant present in chocolate. This is indeed a great news for people who are addicted to chocolates. However, it must be noted that we talking of dark chocolates here and it should not be over processed and over diluted we are seeing all around in chocolate stores. Some experts are claiming that it must also be unpasteurized so that the nutrients are still intact.
    I Just Love SmartHealthShop!

Comment

“Eating high levels of chocolate could reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke,”
      The BBC news reported basing it in a study saying that the highest level of chocolate consumption was associated to a 37% reduction on cardiovascular diseases. Chocolate has also been known to stimulate the release of endorphins, neurotransmitters that give the happy feeling.

Overall, dark chocolate should be eaten in moderation. According to E-science:

The best effect is obtained by consuming an average amount of 6.7 grams of chocolate per day, corresponding to a small square of chocolate twice or three times a week. Beyond these amounts the beneficial effect tends to disappear.
      Source

Comment

It was a good news for me since I really love eating chocolates.
        It was right that processes done to the food could depreciate the nutritive value of it. Although there are some that are being added with some vitamins and minerals and called as fortified products. Eating chocolates could help me feel more relaxed and reduce stress, and I think it is one reason why I could feel a "light/happy" heart. Better to consume the less processed and of course, always in moderation or it will lead to some health risk.
        My Site & My Blog Diary

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
        Working...
        X