Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No TV For Children Under 2?

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), no TV is recommended for children under 2. The premise is that we should instead introduce interactive play for children under 2.

Some mothers are following this recommendation and are opting to spend talking, singing, reading, listening to music, or playing with their children at that age. As Rachel M. shared, "My children never watched TV until they were almost two, and even then I limited it to one show a day. They learned to play outside a lot which was great!"

Other moms feel that the visual and aural stimulation provided by TV can be positive for babies. New York mom Noelle L. shared that her 3-month-old boy "loves the sounds and the bright lights," while Lisa G., a mother of two, feels cartoons advertised for ages 0-2, such as Clifford, Barney, Sesame Street, and Wonder Pets are positive sources of stimulation: "My son is 3 months old as well and loves watching TV...I actually think it's a good way to stimulate his brain."

Babies and TV: Moms Debate the Electronic Babysitter - Circle of Moms

So would you follow this official recommendation or would you expose your child at that young age to TV?
    Last edited by AmazingP; 10-12-2011, 02:14 PM.
    I Just Love SmartHealthShop!

Who lets their children under 2 watch TV regularly anyway?
    Proud owner of a happy pet Cthulhu......

Comment

ME!!! LOL. They love watching TV so why keep them away from TV? Besides, I noticed that they don't pay much attention to it and they also play while watching so I let them be. I observed that they only want commercials that has interesting jingles with it. So far, I don't see anything wrong with them watching TV everyday.
      Please take time to view my articles. Thanks!

Comment

My toddler inadvertently sees things that my almost 5 year old watches. She does not watch television though, as she watches only DVD shows we have screened and that are age-appropriate. So my little guy sometimes sees Richard Scarry shows or Pixar movies. We do not have cable, so we only get what comes in over our converter box.

Comment

When my boys were younger they really were not interested in watching TV. AT two, I think most kids are busy playing and exploring and do not have the attention span to sit and watch a cartoon. It was that way with my kids anyway. But I would sometimes have Sesame Street, Blues Clues and such on in the background anyway so they could sing songs and hear ABC's. We also read books together, played w/blocks, colored, etc. So I think it is just about commons sense and not plucking your kid down in front of the TV and leaving them there.

Comment

I would think a little bit of TV might be okay for a child under 2. And that whole 'electronic babysitter' thing can be helpful on an occasional basis when the mom or dad really, really needs a break. But I don't understand why children wouldn't be busy with something else most of the time, and think they would lack the patience to sit and stare at a television set for a long time.

Comment

My son is just over two years old and he wouldn't watch TV if my life depended on it. That is a good thing I think. he loves to play outside and entertains himself for hours with his trains and blocks. too many children in this country are addicted to TV and video games so I will not encourage watching it, I will allow small amounts when the time comes.
              Golf Club Head Covers

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhu View Post
                Who lets their children under 2 watch TV regularly anyway?
                I think the same people who watch tv the whole day long themselves.
                Check out the Three Foot Solution at http://www.areesportal.com

Comment

who would care if their child under 2 "watches" tv with them? why do I say this? because a kid under 2 does not comprehend tv and therefore has no preference to be in front of the tv or away from it. with that said, no way in hell should a toddler ever be placed in front of tv with the strict intention of watching it. if you are watching tv and holding your baby at the same time, that is one thing. if you are placing your 2 year old in front of a tv because you feel the need to have a babysitter while you are stroking your grey greasy ear hair, then maybe you should have considered not bringing these poor unfortunate souls into this cold world.
                  Smart Health Shop
                  SHS Facebook
                  Powder City bulk supplements discount!

NPC Physique and SmartHealthShop.com Athlete
                  Supplementing Your Health Starts Here

Comment

Some mothers use the TV as a babysitter. Remember that movie with Jim Carrey -- The Cable Guy? There was just a report recently that found that SpongeBob is a terrible show for young children. It's too fast-paced and makes kids hyper. My daughter had banned the show in her house even before this report. When I was a kid, we played with paper dolls, played board games and had fun exploring outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by susansboneyard View Post
                      Some mothers use the TV as a babysitter. Remember that movie with Jim Carrey -- The Cable Guy? There was just a report recently that found that SpongeBob is a terrible show for young children. It's too fast-paced and makes kids hyper. My daughter had banned the show in her house even before this report. When I was a kid, we played with paper dolls, played board games and had fun exploring outdoors.
                      Well, TV can really be a poor substitute for a real babysitter and kids need the attention and care of parents. Playing with paper dolls, board games and exploring the outside world can definitely be more memorable and more creative not just watching TV. However, we are in the modern world where time is always running out for all the things we want to do and so we sacrifice those which should have been allotted to our children.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelstera View Post
                        I would think a little bit of TV might be okay for a child under 2. And that whole 'electronic babysitter' thing can be helpful on an occasional basis when the mom or dad really, really needs a break. But I don't understand why children wouldn't be busy with something else most of the time, and think they would lack the patience to sit and stare at a television set for a long time.
                        Totally agree with you. Children under the age of 2 never really pay much attention to TV shows. And in my experience, it's one of the things that helps me to make my kids stop in throwing tantrums from time to time. My eldest son cries when I turn it off so I can't help but just leave it on sometimes.
                        Please take time to view my articles. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Cecil15 View Post
                          ME!!! LOL. They love watching TV so why keep them away from TV? Besides, I noticed that they don't pay much attention to it and they also play while watching so I let them be. I observed that they only want commercials that has interesting jingles with it. So far, I don't see anything wrong with them watching TV everyday.
                          If you're sitting them in front of the TV as a babysitter, there is a HUGE problem with that. I suppose if you're spending that time with them watching and interacting with them, feeding them a healthy diet, ensuring they exercise, and plan to begin teaching them the value of diet, exercise, reading, etc as soon as they're able to comprehend these things, there isn't an issue. Unfortunately people that let their young children watch TV every day TEND to not do these things and end up with couch potato, obese children. Hopefully you're the exception.........

Comment

Originally posted by Cecil15 View Post
                            Totally agree with you. Children under the age of 2 never really pay much attention to TV shows. And in my experience, it's one of the things that helps me to make my kids stop in throwing tantrums from time to time. My eldest son cries when I turn it off so I can't help but just leave it on sometimes.
                            This is NOT the way to get your children to stop throwing tantrums - and you're teaching them VERY bad habits by sitting them in front of the TV to get them to stop, even at that young age. You're going to end up with children that do as they please and act out until they are given what they want. I advise you stop this at once for both their sake and yours in the future........

And if the children are CRYING because you turn the TV OFF you know you have a problem. I cringe to think how they'll turn out if you allow this to go on! The minute my child began crying at the TV going off would be the minute it never went back on again in their presence......

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhu View Post
                              This is NOT the way to get your children to stop throwing tantrums - and you're teaching them VERY bad habits by sitting them in front of the TV to get them to stop, even at that young age. You're going to end up with children that do as they please and act out until they are given what they want. I advise you stop this at once for both their sake and yours in the future........And if the children are CRYING because you turn the TV OFF you know you have a problem. I cringe to think how they'll turn out if you allow this to go on! The minute my child began crying at the TV going off would be the minute it never went back on again in their presence......
                              Nice piece, Cthulhu. I never actually recognized you before as a good source for correct parenting tips. You know what, this is an area where most parents are having it wrong. And later on when their kids are wandering somewhere doing whatever they wanted to do even becoming juvenile delinquents, the same parents will wonder what happened! I am not saying though that this is automatic but this is a factor. When we let our kids control us we are basically telling them that they can always be right at all times setting the stage for more problems. Parents should learn to be on the top of every situations or at least most of the times because parents are supposed to be leaders and visionaries for the kids' future. Hope I am not lecturing. No offense intended.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                              Working...
                              X