No TV For Children Under 2?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well when my kids were young, they used to stare at that box as if they understood what was going on. The noise and picture motions used to be very interesting for them. I know its not healthy but it can not lack a single advantage.

Comment

Honestly, it really depends on the child and on the parents as to whether that or any other rule makes sense.
      We let our 22-month old watch some specific things on the computer (we don't actually use the TV at home because local TV is all in Chinese and our Chinese isn't that great so it's an exercise in futility unless we are specifically trying to practice our listening comprehension or someone we know happens to be on TV that day).
      He knows that "Cars", "Robots" (Wall-E), "Poo Bear" and "Dogs" (the discovery channel's Dogs 101 on Youtube) are all available on Daddy's computer. He says those words and asks for them at times. Daddy limits him to watching one show every other day and generally splits the screen so daddy can work on one side and toddler can watch the show on the other. He also specifically asks our friend and tutor to play "lalala" - a chinese cartoon song she pulls up on my computer whenever she is here for a session.
      The babe is distinctly aware of the shows he watches and what is on them. He knows the Cars characters and recognizes them when he sees them on something else- like bedding at the store in the mall. (He also knows that dada's current major work project is "pig cow"- an animated series about cybernetic pigs and cows that often shows up on daddy's screen)
      I've never watched TV- I was always a reader. Daddy watches movies a lot, but he is a filmmaker with a degree in animation- so it's kind of work related, too.
      I don't actually consider myself a horrid parent, though. I figure we have balanced out the limited TV watching with all of the massive amount of AP parenting we do.
      The child is extended breastfed- was exclusively through 6 months and will continue to be through the WHO recommended minimum of 2 years. We babywear- I carried him in a ring sling and Moby constantly up until age 1, then we got an Ergo. We have never owned a stroller. We thought it important for him to be held upright and at eye level instead of laying back in a stroller getting limited mental stimulation and views of knees and calves. He goes to a weekly play group for toddlers and on outings every day when it isn't too polluted. (He enjoys going to the "big train"- a large train engine parked in the art district next door- and to the park where he wanders around in the grass and along the paths.) We cosleep, and he has never slept in a crib. We free range in the house- he has never been confined to a playpen. We did baby-led weaning as the intro to solids (no baby cereals, no purees) Both parents work from home and one of us is always available to him 24-7.
      So he watches TV every other day.
      I'm not overly concerned.

Comment

I don't have kids, but if ever I'll have one in the future, I won't mind if they get to watch some tv, because I doubt that they can even fully understand what is being presented in front of them. I don't really think that not letting kids watch tv before the age of 2 would have a big impact on the child's overall development.

Comment

I feel like it may be okay to let the child watch tv a little while eating their breakfast and lunch but that shouldn't be a priority of the parents.
          At this age the child should be learning and exploring as much as possible and having the tv on will just take away from that knowledge. The brain is like a sponge at these ages so its better to let the child at least play outside more with their friends instead of watching tv.

Comment

If children under two years old should not watch TV then they should not use the computer either. I'm not sure but I think children under two years of age don't have the sense of what's real and what's not yet and they would be confused if we will show them visuals from TV and PC. However, there are some educational programs made for children under two years old. I think we should just show them the recommended programs for their age.

Comment

Don't let children under 2 watch TV.

Comment

But I do not think children below 2 years would anyway like the tv shows. They start glaring at the age of 7 or 8 when they are ushered into KG. classes. I also agree toddlers should remain exposed to the open space, open air and open sky, to make them develop their identity quickly.

Comment

I believe that watching TV is harmful in general, not only for younger children. When I have children, I'll make sure that they won't live a sedentary lifestyle. I will teach them how to be active and how to enjoy every minute
                  "I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles. ― Audrey Hepburn

Comment

I do not have a kid yet but I think I would prefer educational shows applicable for such young age if there is any. Better to involve babies to educational materials and also be interactive like doing activities with other babies.
                    My Site & My Blog Diary

Comment

Well my children never did get time to watch Tv until they were four something. We were always doing something together, playing, singing, acting.. I know of many parents who use the TV as their baby sitters. It is just not healthy to have a young child watch too much TV.

Comment

There is so much mindless crap on TV geared toward children I think especially for a child under the age of two it's good idea to expose them to interactive games that will stimulate their learning. If you're going to have them watch TV then have it be something where they are learning something, giving them a head start in school.

Comment

I don't think kids below 2 watch tv with full attention. Anyway always keep away kids from tv, computer and smartphones for health reasons too. Recently I read an article recommending moms to keep away their phones away from kids. It says the radiation from the phone can harm our kids.
                          Health is Wealth!

Comment

It is not appropriate to expect any child of any age to be babysat by television. My children watch television but it is limited to an hour a day and it is a program all of them like. I don't like too much television myself since most of the series have become as inappropriate as the day soaps. My kids build with blocks, put puzzles together and do word search and crossword puzzles. My 3 year old likes putting the chairs together and throwing blankets over them to make a house and she takes her doll in there and puts her to bed. She does like to watch shows that have children in them but she generally won't sit still for more than half an hour at a time.

Comment

The only way to keep TV away from a child under 2 years old is for the adults in the house to give it up as well. As some people mentioned, when a child has siblings they are going to be exposed to what the other child watches. The best thing is just to control what they see and make sure if the TV is on it is set to something age appropriate and educational.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                              Working...
                              X