Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statins for High Cholesterol?

I have had high cholesterol most of my life. I am now 50 and my cholesterol is around 280. I eat low fat food (except cheese - my bad), exercise 5x per week for at least 30 minutes (jogging), take two fish oil capsules daily, don't smoke and weight 150 lbs (I'm 5'4") My doctor wants me on statin drugs to lower the cholesterol but I believe they do more harm than good (several of my friends have died while on statins.) The American Heart Association's online Heart Health Quiz says my risk of dying of heart disease is less than 1%. Who thinks I should listen to my doctor and take statins?

BTW, I take exception to the tag under my user ID that says I'm an Obese Couch Potato - I AM NOT! I watch less than 1 hour of TV per day and my BMI is about 25. So there!
    Iamloved!
    www.GodsCountryBotanicals.com

I think that you should go back to your doctor and get some more information. Specifically, find out what your total cholesterol, HDL, LDL and triglycerides are. With these numbers I can help you to understand what's going on in your body and help you decide along with your doctor what the best course of treatment is.

Comment

Originally posted by JOR View Post
      I think that you should go back to your doctor and get some more information. Specifically, find out what your total cholesterol, HDL, LDL and triglycerides are. With these numbers I can help you to understand what's going on in your body and help you decide along with your doctor what the best course of treatment is.
      I agree with JOR. With those information at hand, it would be beneficial to talk to the doctor again. I am sure that the doctor would be so willing to listen to you and probably will modify the recommendation which could be much suited to you this time. By the way, don't worry with that tag under your avatar it is supposed to motivate you to share more so that your rank can be upgraded.
      I Just Love SmartHealthShop!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
      Working...
      X