Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegetable Barley Soup

We are still having hot weather (!) here where I live, but I am hoping the weather turns more fall-like very soon. I love cool weather, rainy days and cooking yummy casseroles and soups this time of year. Thought I would share this one that I make in the slow cooker. It cooks most of the afternoon, filling up the house with wonderful aromas and making tummies get hungry

Vegetable Barley Soup

You will need:

Thyme - about 3-4 sprigs if fresh
    Parsnips -about 2 medium size, cut into small pieces
    3 stalks celery, sliced ( I love celery, so this part takes me the longest as I keep eating the slices I cut-eek!)
    2 cloves garlic (more if you are a big fan) finely chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 small rutabaga cut in small pieces
    1/2 cup barley (not the quick-cooking type!)
    salt and pepper

Directions:

Combine thyme, parsnips, celery, garlic, onion, rutabaga, barley and 8 cups water, in the crock pot or slow cooker (if you don't have one, you should get one. You will love it!)

Cook with cover on for about 6-7 hours on low or until the barley is cooked and the veggies are tender. You can also cook this soup on high for 4-5 hours and save some time. But if you do, use only 6 cups of water, not 8.

Note- the thyme can be pretty strong, so if it seems like it will be too over-powering, I take it out about 20 minutes before the soup is done. If you tie the sprigs together before you put them in the pot, they will be easier to remove later.

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, add a salad and enjoy!

This sounds great! It's really weird, but I've never eaten rutabaga. I eat a huge variety of foods and love unusual things. Parsnips, turnips, jicama... yes, but never a rutabaga. I think I really need to try this, especially since I love barley in soups. Thanks!
    My reality check bounced

The Dull Knife Chronicles - living on the edge is not so bad when your knife is dull

Comment

Sounds yummy. I've been really into soups, too, as the weather starts to turn. I think soups help slim me down and keep me hydrated, so any good soup recipe is more than welcome!

Comment

Sounds so yummy and very nutritious too! Sad, I can't find a supply of barley here in my place. the weather here in my place is already fine and not as hot as summer although this is the season where typhoons (hurricanes) are frequenting so sometimes we are under the mercy of mother nature. Have a nice meal!
        I Just Love SmartHealthShop!

Comment

I love soup with barley - one of my favorites. You need some good lean steak in there, however.......where's the protein?
          Proud owner of a happy pet Cthulhu......

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
          Working...
          X