Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your take on garlic supplements? (long post)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your take on garlic supplements? (long post)

I've always known that garlic is very healthy for you, but until the last year and half of my life, I never knew just how much and that it can be life saving.

About two years ago, my oldest daughter got a serious staph infection that quickly spread down her arm and sent her to the emergency room. I was not told it was a staph infection at the time but some other life-threatening disease. It was when we went to a follow-up the next day to a different doctor that we found out it was staph and the doctor acted like it was no big deal. But even this doctor didn't know much about staph infections. He just lanced it, wrote out a prescrption for antibiotics and sent us on our merry way. Lo and behold, 3 more staph showed up on my daughter near the same area not two months later. Again, they were lanced and more antibiotics given. Then my husband and I started to get them. But for some reason they never got to the point of needing to be lanced (I'm thinking now it was because we take a butt load of vitamins), but it was irritating to get them every once in a while, nonetheless. Then my youngest daughter had one that had to be lanced as well.

So, now I'm getting pissed that this is happening over and over again in our family. All the doctors kept telling me was to make certain my house was clean, change the towels, sheets and clothes daily, which I did to a tee. Still these stupid, life-threatening staph infections kept coming. So I took matters into my own hands and started to research this infection. I read everything I could about how to cure and kill it, which I was disheartened to find out is nearly next to impossible. Regardless, I tried every "cure" out there. Most did nothing, but some gave temporary relief.

Then I started to read article upon article on how garlic kills staph. What did I have to lose? Unfortunately, my girls both hate to swallow pills, but my husband and I just added them to our arsenal of daily vitamins. Well, in the last year and a half, both my husband and I have not only been staph free but cold free, too. We usually get 2-3 colds each year, but now we don't get so much as a sore throat, even when our girls get sick, we don't catch it like we normally would. Unfortunately, my girls were still getting a few spots of staph, but we kill them right away with a product I found called Staphaceptic, but it has to be put on right at the start.

Thankfully, our whole household now has been staph free for over 5 months, even though the doctors told us that once you have staph in your system, you will always get staph infections. I know now not to believe every word that comes out of doctor's mouths as if they were God's words. It pays to do some research on your own. I found out that taking antibiotics for staph just makes them more resistant to it over time. So I am thankful that I found out the information on garlic supplements and how it kills staph naturally.

Sorry this post was so long. I'm jut really thrilled with finally finding a supplement that has put me and my family out of this constant nightmare.

What benefits have you found from taking garlic?
    Last edited by sandooch; 07-20-2012, 02:14 AM.

My take on garlic supplements is why buy supplements when you can eat the real thing? I love eating garlic, it is very good for you and it adds flavour to most of my meals. I would rather use whole garlic than garlic supplements, and it's probably a lot cheaper too.

Comment

Originally posted by shaun View Post
      My take on garlic supplements is why buy supplements when you can eat the real thing? I love eating garlic, it is very good for you and it adds flavour to most of my meals. I would rather use whole garlic than garlic supplements, and it's probably a lot cheaper too.
      Exactly. If I'd take garlic supplements I'd probably OD on garlic... I put that stuff on everything.
      riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

Comment

I have never been a fan of supplements, so if garlic is the trick for you and your family then I would suggest eating the real stuff. Processing the garlic to make the pills takes away some of its nutritional value. I would definitely suggest starting to cook with fresh garlic and adding cloves to your food in order to reap the benefits of such a wonderful herb.

Comment

Originally posted by shaun View Post
          I'm Italian, so I live on garlic myself. But I'd have to eat the equivalent of 20 garlic cloves a day to get the amount of mg I'm getting from the supplements I take. Now, there's a reason we Italians call garlic nature's birth control, and eating 20 cloves a day would certainly keep my husband (and everyone else around me) at a good distance. lol

Seriously, though, the supplements I take are odorless and cost me under $5 per bottle of 100, which lasts me a little over a month and a half. But I still use garlic in my cooking...but sparingly. ;p

Comment

Nice to know that garlic supplement had helped you solved your health problems.
            I have not tried taking garlic supplements but I am fond of eating garlic mixed on foods. We usually include garlic on dishes here.
            My Site & My Blog Diary

Comment

Fair enough, but do you really need the equivalent of 20 cloves of garlic a day to gain from the health benefits? 5 dollars for 100 capsules is good value, to be fair.

Comment

Well, I tried taking the equivalent of 10 cloves (one 1000-mg capsule) and that didn't seem to do the trick in getting rid of them. We'd still get them, but not as often as when we weren't taking any. Two capsules daily (2000 mg) seems to be the ticket.

Comment

I also believe that taking supplements is inferior to seasoning food with garlic. Another thing to remember is that nutrients taken through food are more efficiently used by the body. Garlic does have antibacterial properties - it's been used as medicine for centuries. I'd think that now you've beaten the staph infections, you can probably rely on garlic from food to keep you clear.

Comment

I agree that we've beaten the infection, at least for my husband and myself. But being that my daughters seem to still get them every few months, I don't want to take a chance with stopping the supplements. Plus, as I had mentioned, since we've been taking them for a year and a half, both my husbad and I have not had even one cold. Even with the amount of garlic we were eating before taking the supplemnt, we still got colds/flu 2-3 times a year. For that reason alone (plus, I've read taking them can help keep cholesterol and blood pressure in the normal range), we'll continue to take them.

Comment

NY faill

Hi people! omg NY is fail BOOM...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                      Working...
                      X