Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Herbs Tawa-Tawa & Ginger

Tawa-tawa herb is a local herb which can be found in the Philippines. Due to testimonies from folks all over the country that it can help dengue victims, some government agencies carried out testing and so far extract from this lowly herb showed some promise.

In addition, the spicy ginger also showed effective results. Laboratory tests revealed that 99 percent of dengue viral plaque can be exterminated by a tawa-tawa extract. On the other hand, ginger extract can destroy 56 percent. The next phase will be animal testing. .

The study is conducted in the prestigious Saint Lukes Medical Center using the funds and support of the Department of Science and Technology.

However, The Department of Health is still not issuing a recommendation of tawa-tawa for dengue victims but we know that this can really help and there is a verifiable basis for these two herbs. It has to be emphasized that these herbs should be taken as remedies and should not substitute the immediate need for a doctor in a medical facility. Incidentally, the local word tawa means laughter.

Excerpts Taken From This Site!
    I Just Love SmartHealthShop!

I have heard a lot about the wonders of Tawa-tawa and there are herbal products selling in the market today which offers cure for Dengue because of their own formulation of tawa-tawa. Like for example, Cory Quirinos World of Wellness, they offer a product with Tawa-tawa and it is said to cure dengue. Some people tried the product and convinced others that it was really working. But as what you have said, the department of Health is not yet giving a Go signal to try tawa-tawa plant as an alternative source to cure dengue.

Comment

Originally posted by AmazingP View Post
      Tawa-tawa herb is a local herb which can be found in the Philippines. Due to testimonies from folks all over the country that it can help dengue victims, some government agencies carried out testing and so far extract from this lowly herb showed some promise.

In addition, the spicy ginger also showed effective results. Laboratory tests revealed that 99 percent of dengue viral plaque can be exterminated by a tawa-tawa extract. On the other hand, ginger extract can destroy 56 percent. The next phase will be animal testing. .

The study is conducted in the prestigious Saint Lukes Medical Center using the funds and support of the Department of Science and Technology.

However, The Department of Health is still not issuing a recommendation of tawa-tawa for dengue victims but we know that this can really help and there is a verifiable basis for these two herbs. It has to be emphasized that these herbs should be taken as remedies and should not substitute the immediate need for a doctor in a medical facility. Incidentally, the local word ‘tawa’ means laughter.

Excerpts Taken From This Site!
      Good post, source, and write-up AP. As AP already stated, the testing is still VERY early and hasn't even progressed to animals yet. Right now they're just taking a culture of the virus in the lab and applying tawa-tawa to it. Unfortunately, it is much easier to kill a virus when it is exposed than when it resides in a living organism. We see testing all the time where a promising new drug will kill a virus or bacteria culture, but then fail in animal testing. We'll have to wait and see how the animal testing on tawa-tawa goes before you should even consider using it, but it's always good to keep an eye on these things and know what is going on in the world of medicine and science near you.

Again, good job AP - love this one........perfectly done. Couldn't have written it up better myself!
      Proud owner of a happy pet Cthulhu......

Comment

It's still being tested for efficacy and already people are marketing it like it really works. People are buying it, too. Probably those who believe in its beneficial effects are feeling better as well. I think psychosomatic medicine is at work here.
        Check out the Three Foot Solution at http://www.areesportal.com

Comment

Most likely......the placebo effect is an amazing thing. Testing has been done MANY times on placebos. In most cases, they take two test groups and tell them that they have a 50-50 chance of getting the real medication. This is done with a medication that is known to be effective. In studies where the participants KNOW there's a chance they can get the placebo, about 60% of the placebo groups consistently report that the placebo works. And this is where they KNOW they COULD be getting the placebo. In testing where they are NOT told this, the % is even higher - around the 80-90% range.

So yes, these early marketers are usually quite unscrupulous.....and the worst part is that since these "natural" supplements aren't regulated, you don't even know if you're getting what is supposed to be in them. For all you know, Billy-Bob could be making the pills in his dirty bathtub (this has actually happened, FYI).

So yes, we obviously want to wait until we know more before deciding to take these.......at which point there should be some much more reputable companies producing them if they are shown to be healthy.......not to mention they would probably be released as a prescription drug as well.

Comment

Making them in a dirty bathtub is a disturbing thought but there is something else I am more worried about. They could be putting steroids in it. Steroids make the person feel good but has long-term ill-effects. Arsenic in sub-toxic doses can also make a person feel good.

Talking about regulation, I don't put much faith in the government doing its duty. Money speaks and big money speaks very loudly, too often drowning out conscience.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldMan View Post
              Making them in a dirty bathtub is a disturbing thought but there is something else I am more worried about. They could be putting steroids in it. Steroids make the person feel good but has long-term ill-effects. Arsenic in sub-toxic doses can also make a person feel good.

Talking about regulation, I don't put much faith in the government doing its duty. Money speaks and big money speaks very loudly, too often drowning out conscience.
              Forget steroids - those are relatively safe compared to some other things - and there could be ANYTHING in it since there is no regulation of what they can and can't add......no regulation of what is safe and in what dosages........and no oversight of the manufacturing process to ensure that is safe and sterile.

And one just needs to look at the safety record of regulation by the FDA to see that they've done a fantastic job over the years considering how much they are counted on to do. No one is buying off the FDA - since it would come back to bite them if they pushed something through that wasn't safe. I'll be the first to admit that money talks in politics......but in science......not so much.......

Comment

Good to know that there's still something which we can trust in this convoluted world. In my region, money and politics have an overpowering influence on regulatory bodies.

Comment

It will be a very good news if it will be proven and approved already by the Department of Health and Bureau of Food and Drugs Here. That drug that cure dengue is very much needed here in our country. Specially now that it is raining often, the disease could start spreading again since it is said that mosquito larvae of those dengue carriers could survive for up to 5 years, just waiting to be moist/wet to become a fully developed mosquito. Hoping for the best for such drug research.
                  My Site & My Blog Diary

Comment

Dengue is a terrible thing. It does not respect age or size. Many years ago, the daughter of a friend contracted dengue. We rounded up all our friends who had the same blood type. As soon as her temperature shot up, we went in to give our blood to replace hers. Luckily the virus was wiped out before we ran out of people. I think she should be a grandmother by now. Yes, it was many, many, many years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldMan View Post
                      Dengue is a terrible thing. It does not respect age or size. Many years ago, the daughter of a friend contracted dengue. We rounded up all our friends who had the same blood type. As soon as her temperature shot up, we went in to give our blood to replace hers. Luckily the virus was wiped out before we ran out of people. I think she should be a grandmother by now. Yes, it was many, many, many years ago.
                      That's a wonderful story - she was very lucky. You should be very proud that you helped save a life.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhu View Post
                        That's a wonderful story - she was very lucky. You should be very proud that you helped save a life.
                        When she came out of intensive care, she was like a new-born baby. All her skin had been burned of by the high fever. Even the soles of her feet had new skin, just like a baby. Actually I didn't feel like any kind of a hero. All of us were exhausted from the vigil. We just did what we could. Hopefully when the need arises, somebody else will do the same for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhu View Post
                          Yup, she sure is lucky. And imagine all of the lives that person has impacted!

Comment

Originally posted by VideoController View Post
                            Yup, she sure is lucky. And imagine all of the lives that person has impacted!
                            Sadly, I have been traveling all over the place since then and really have no idea how she is now. I hope she is doing well and happily married. Probably even have grandchildren already.

Comment

My garden has tawa-tawa, ginger and turmeric. My neighbors would ask us for tawa-tawa every time a child has fever. They would boil not only the leaves but also the roots of the plant and this would serve as the water of the child for those who have dengue.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                              Working...
                              X