Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make your own health bar

I am always leary of prepared foods. Why not make your own health bar from individual ingredients. Start with raw oats, flaxseeds, chopped dried apricots, raisins, cranberries and cherries, chopped almonds and walnuts, Add one raw egg and some milk. Put in a greased baking pan and bake at 350 degrees until fully cooked. Cool for about 30 mintues and cut into squares.

I like that. All the ingredients look yummy. Probably I will have to do some substitutions because not all of them are readily available here.
    Check out the Three Foot Solution at http://www.areesportal.com

Comment

This is a great idea actually. A homemade health bar is probably a heck of a lot healthier than the commercial ones available right now. Reading this actually made my stomach growl loudly . I think i'll have to try this some day. The recipe sounds delicious and simple enough to make.
      I 365 Art

Comment

I've been thinking about doing this for some time but haven't gotten around to it. I make my own granola but I guess somehow I thought a health bar would be more complicated. That looks really easy. Thanks for the recipe!
        My reality check bounced

The Dull Knife Chronicles - living on the edge is not so bad when your knife is dull

Comment

I also posted a new thread wherein there is a recipe for a Healthy Cereal Bar. I got it from the internet and I decided to share it on this forum.

Here is the link just in case that you wanted to check it out:

Healthy Cereal Bar Recipe
          wanna know more about SummerRain? Here's my personal blogsite. Enter my world, peepz!

Comment

This is the recipe that I use. It's NO BAKE also, so you're free to make it on your own!

1 cup of oats
            2 scoops of protein powder
            1/2 cup of peanut butter
            1/2 cup of milk (or any liquid)

Make sure you soften the peanut butter first so it gets sticky. Mix all ingredients, put it on a pan and stick it in the fridge to harden. Then take it out and cut it up!
            All natural and you KNOW what you're getting.

Comment

Originally posted by summerRain View Post
              I also posted a new thread wherein there is a recipe for a Healthy Cereal Bar. I got it from the internet and I decided to share it on this forum.

Here is the link just in case that you wanted to check it out:

Healthy Cereal Bar Recipe
              Thanks for the recipe, I have these in the oven now for my breakfast tomorrow .

EDITED TO ADD: They were delicious, easy to take to work for a quick breakfast on the go.
              Last edited by Dr.Nick; 03-03-2012, 10:54 PM.
              Hi everybody!

Comment

Pretty good ideas! I used to enjoy the "health" bars but my problem was that they tasted so good that I could not just limit myself to one. Any suggestions?
                IF I MAKE ONE PERSON SMILE OR FEEL HAPPY TODAY THEN I HAVE DONE MY JOB AS A HUMAN!

Comment

Re: Make your own health bar

Originally posted by R. Paradon View Post
                  Pretty good ideas! I used to enjoy the "health" bars but my problem was that they tasted so good that I could not just limit myself to one. Any suggestions?
                  Yes. Don't eat them. Most "bars" with the "health" label on them are loaded with sugar / simple carbohydrates...which is exactly the reason why those bars make you more hungry and get you addicted to eating them...stick to lean sources of protein instead!
                  Smart Health Shop
                  SHS Facebook
                  Powder City bulk supplements discount!

NPC Physique and SmartHealthShop.com Athlete
                  Supplementing Your Health Starts Here

Comment

As usual you carry the best advice! Fortunately over here they are only available in the foreign stores and the cost is prohibitive so that has stopped me for the past six years!
                    IF I MAKE ONE PERSON SMILE OR FEEL HAPPY TODAY THEN I HAVE DONE MY JOB AS A HUMAN!

Comment

Re: Make your own health bar

Originally posted by R. Paradon View Post
                      As usual you carry the best advice! Fortunately over here they are only available in the foreign stores and the cost is prohibitive so that has stopped me for the past six years!
                      Well, as long as you are reading labels, you will be okay with whatever you choose to divulge in. Not all health bars are garbage, but at least 90% are...and that is being conservative. Train your eye to read each nutritional label (look for fats, protein, and carbs / sugar) like a hawk and you will have no problems deciphering these inconsistencies with marketing and weight loss yourself.
                      Smart Health Shop
                      SHS Facebook
                      Powder City bulk supplements discount!

NPC Physique and SmartHealthShop.com Athlete
                      Supplementing Your Health Starts Here

Comment

But the excess of protein may lead to unwanted disorders. The health bars available in market are proportionate about the constituents that our body actually needs. So, its up to you what to choose and what not.

Comment

This is a good idea, that I never even thought of doing. I think that I will try this with my favorite fruits and nuts. I always thought special K bar was good for you found out it wasn't
                          ~When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place~

Comment

Yeah, this sounds great. I make something similar which does not need any cooking. I uses dates that are not too dry, I pound them in a hand mill and add crushed nuts, raisins, dried fruit pulp especially mango and pineapple, seeds like flax seeds, sunflower seeds and rolled oats etc., mix them well, flatten the out on a greased tray and cut then into strips. This is one of the snacks my boys take to school. This keeps well for two to three weeks.

Comment

Nice recipes, guys! I'm a big baking nut, and this is something I really need to try! Though yeah, I have the same problem as the others. Sometimes, the health bars themselves are so good that I find myself eating so much in one sitting, haha! That said, can anyone think up of an ingredient I could add to give myself that "full" feeling from a single bar?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                              Working...
                              X